DARE TO DO SOMETHING GOOD TODAY!

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so” (Proverb 3:27).

Shortly after I started working as a newly qualified medical doctor, an unemployed male nurse approached and begged me to get him a job in the government hospital.  A few vacant positions were up for grabs at that time, and several thousands of nurses all over applied for it. He was one of them!

Meanwhile, in our setting, things are generally not done on merit, but on a connection. The nurse felt I had an enormous connection to fix him up, being a medical doctor.  I told him I had no such connection since I was very green in the system. He did not believe me, and he continued to beg me ad-infinitum, till I caved in.  I did not know what step I should take next!

The following day, I went to the office responsible for hiring health workers, and I pleaded with an elderly man I saw there to help me out.  I wasn’t close to him, but, he told me 95% of the advertised vacancies had been grabbed by the few greedy politicians in charge, leaving just 5% for the rest of the populace.  Nonetheless, he promised to put in a good word for my candidate if he did well at the interview.

Immediately, I started to coach my candidate for several hours daily till he went for the interview.  In addition, I worked hard on his mind, assuring him each time that he would get the job if he remained positive. I prayed with him too, though I was not a Christian then.

The interview went well, and my candidate performed brilliantly in it, and the kind man lived up to his promise of putting in a good word for him, and he was given one of the few positions left.  Today, he is doing great to the glory of God.  I dared to do something good for him!

Friends, today, you too can dare do something good for someone out there. Put in a good word for him or her, do something on his or her bill or school fees within the limits of your resources.  Visit that lonely old man or woman down your street. Moreover, rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn (Romans 12:15).

Please, call or write to congratulate someone on his or her new appointment, birthday, promotion, success at school, etc. Your smile and warmth can equally make somebody’s day, so, use them liberally. It is okay to pray for people as well; remember, prayer is a very potent Christian weapon (James 5:16).

Yes, some people might have taken advantage of you in the past, kindly don’t stop doing good for that reason, and you will reap good rewards someday (Galatians 6:9). Remember, you will reap whatever you sow (Galatians 6:7), and whatever you do for anyone now, you do for God also, and He will reward you lavishly in the end (Matthew 25:31-40), in Jesus name.  Amen.

Jesus is Lord!
 
Dr. Adedayo Stoney Adegbulu (Dr. Stoney)
 
Medical Practitioner, Author, and Speaker