I am doing this write up in line with the mood of the season. Usually, towards the end of each year, many people take stock of their activities in the year, and seek the face of God through fasting and prayer for success in the incoming year.
Fasting and Prayer are potent and well-known Christian Power Tools. And according to Jesus Christ, they are needed to overcome very tough problems of life: “This kind (very tough problems) can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting’’ (Mark 9:29). Such problems include ill-health, joblessness broken marriage, unruly children, loneliness, problems at work, failing or failed business, failing or failed ministry, lack of help, uncertainty, sin, oppressive government policies, etc. If any of them is affecting you at the moment, then you need help from God. And this can come through fasting and prayer!
Through fasting and prayer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Renew your strength: “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength…’’ (Isaiah 40:31
- Concentrate on God: “Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning’’ (Joel 2:12).
- Obtain direction from God: “Then I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us and our little ones and all our possessions’’ (Ezra 8:21).
- Obtain help from God: So we fasted and entreated our God for this (help), and He answered our prayer’’ (Ezra 8:23).
God has the capacity to help you overcome your subsisting problems if you commit them into His hands. After that, He will defend you (Isaiah 41:10), direct you (Proverbs 3:5-6), and deliver you (Psalm 50:15). But you must play your part very well too. You must:
- Seek Him with all your heart and the good news is that you will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). Remember that you can seek Him via fasting and prayer.
- Not forsake Him at any time; otherwise He will forsake you too (2 Chronicles 15:2).
- Trust Him to the end, and He will save you (Matthew 24:13); He will give you freedom from your problems.
Friend, as you approach the end of Year 2013 and behold 2014, may the good Lord shine His light upon you and all your loved ones. May He uphold you with His everlasting hands, and give you good reasons to rejoice day by day. May He also enlarge your coast, and meet you at the deepest point of your needs. And if by chance you fall at any time, may He give you strength to get up, and get moving again, in Jesus name. Amen.
Merry Christmas in advance!
Jesus is Lord!
(c) Adedayo Stoney Adegbulu, 2013