Isaiah 1:19 says: ‘’If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land’’.
As you can see, the passage above demonstrates that obeying God is loaded with goodies. But it is not always easy to obey anyone without knowing the reasons why we ought to. It is for this reason that I am doing this write-up titled, ‘The Reasons for Obeying God’, to point us in the right direction. But before then, if you wish to know some of the benefits accruable to those who obey God, then I suggest that you read my article titled, ‘The Benefits of Obeying God’. You can access it on my website, by clicking the following link: http://mindofchrist.org.uk/the-benefits-of-obeying-god/.
Here are some of the reasons why we ought to obey God. Because:
1. He desires it: ‘’And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you … 13 …to keep (obey) the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good? (Deuteronomy 10:12-13).
2. It is the right thing to do: ‘’But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: ‘’We ought to obey God rather than men’’ (Acts 5:29).
3. It shows that we trust Him: ‘’Then Nebuchadnezzar said, ‘’Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in Him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God (Daniel 3:28).
4. It shows that we love Him: ‘’If you love Me, keep (obey) My commandments’’ (John 14:15).
5. It shows that we are His friends: ‘’You are My friends if you do whatever I command you’’ (John 15:14).
6. It promotes happiness: ‘’Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; But happy is he who keeps (obeys) the law’’ (Proverbs 29:18).
7. It promotes safety: ‘’You shall observe My statues and keep (obey) My judgments, and perform them; and you will dwell in the land in safety” (Leviticus 25:18).
8. It promotes long life: ‘’My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep (obey) my commands; 2 for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you’’ (Proverbs 3:1-2).
9. It brings about eternal salvation: ‘’And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him’’ (Hebrews 5:9).
10. It will generate heavenly rewards: ‘’Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad’’ (2 Corinthians 5:9-10).
Friend, it is evident from all above that there are good reasons why we ought to obey God. Many people before us, such as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Daniel 3:1-30) did, and they reaped good benefits. People are still obeying and benefiting from Him to date and you too can be one of them if you wish. So, if He asks you to serve Him, please obey Him, if He asks you to help someone in need, obey Him; if He asks you to propose to a particular sister or to accept a marriage proposal from a brother; Obey Him; etc. Please obey whatever He asks you to do, and in the end, you’ll have every reason to rejoice that you did, in Jesus name. Amen.
Jesus is Lord!
(c) Adedayo Stoney Adegbulu, 2013