Today, let us consider Acts 3:1-11. Peter and John were going to the temple at the time of prayer. And at the same time, a man crippled from birth was being taken to the temple gate called beautiful where he normally begged. When he saw Peter and John, he fixed his attention on them expecting something but he got more than he expected- i.e. healing in the name of Jesus.
The following lessons can be deduced from the account above.
1. We should pray regularly to God. Peter and John made it a habit to pray regularly to God. Remember that prayer is an effective tool in the hands of Christians and with it; hopeless situations can be turned around for good. Many notable Christians were/are successful in life because they made/make it a habit to pray to God regularly. Ben Carson for example, is a successful African American Neurosurgeon and one of the most excellent in the field globally. When asked, he attributed his success story to his mother’s positive influence on him, hard work and most importantly, the power of prayer. If you want to make it to the top, then make it a habit to pray to God regularly (James 5:16b).
2. We must be focussed. The man was focussed. He did not allow anything or anybody to distract his attention from Peter and John. If you want any spectacular miracle from God, then you must be prepared to focus your attention on Him at all times. Furthermore, you must not entertain any doubt in your mind otherwise; you will not receive anything substantial from Him (James 1:6-8).
3. The name of Jesus is very powerful. Peter and John had no silver or gold but they had the name of Jesus which is a very powerful tool to work with. With boldness, Peter commanded the man to walk in the name of Jesus and he did. You too can use His name to transform your life, to stay afloat, heal the sick, set the captives free, give hope to the hopeless etc (Mark 16:17-18). Let me assure you here that you don’t really need any special faith before using this powerful name; all you need is boldness. Therefore, go ahead and use right now!
4. We must exercise our faith. The man exercised his faith by leaping, standing and walking into the temple. If you desire a miracle today, then be prepared to exercise your faith in God. Remember that without faith, it is impossible to please him (Hebrew 11:6) and that faith without action is dead (James 2:17). Use the name of Jesus today and exercise your faith by doing those things which you have not been able to do hitherto and you will experience a life changing outcome.
5. We must always praise God. The man went into the temple walking and praising God. Likewise you too should make it a habit to praise Him. You should also remember to thank Him always because it is His will that we should do so (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Do you know that by praising God, you are indirectly asking Him to come closer to you (Psalms 22:3)? And do you know that in a situation like this; miracles cannot be far from you?
6. We must keep the company of the children of God. This is made very plain in Hebrews 10:25. As individuals, our capacity is very limited but if we work in partnership with other children of God, we can move mountains. For example, as individuals, we may not be able to defeat more than one of our enemies at a time. But if only five of us can collaborate closely, then we should be able to chase at least a hundred of them to their early grave without stress. Now imagine what a hundred of us can achieve if we team up! Definitely ten thousand of our enemies will be exterminated (Leviticus 26:8). The man appreciated the importance of collaborating with the children of God hence; he did not forsake their gathering. You too must emulate him. Don’t allow Satan to isolate you from the body of Christ!
Friends put all these lessons into practice as from today and very soon; you will be on your way to big time success.
Jesus is Lord!